Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's about Freakin' time!!!!!! (a life update)

So, I am alive. Not by much, but I am alive. So here is the scoop. I have a very different perspective on my time here in texas, and here is why, Everything has changed. I have changed my degree to a Masters in Chemical Education. So yeah, pretty different than a Ph.D in Chemistry, but it is a much better option. So here is the when, the why, and the what the heck.

Well, I switched to Masters about 2 months ago, and have just been really busy and I am just now getting around to telling everyone. It took a good couple of months to switch, and a trip to the temple to make sure I wasn't making a bad choice, but it is now done, and I am in the thick of my new degree.

Why, because I recently admitted to myself that I hate research. Don't get me wrong, I dig playin' around in the lab, but research is just to much for me. It can get really, really discouraging. Needless to say, a 10 percent success rate on reactions is pretty good in chemistry, and I was not diggin' that. Well, I have always wanted to teach, and I came here to get a degree so that I could do just that. So, switching to chem ed means that I will still be able to do that, I will not have to kill myself doing something that I hate for the next 3 or so years.

So what does it all mean. Well, it means just this:
I will be done in one year
The research I do will be an educational project, and will be done in the fall/spring this year
I will be taking classes again, and I am now
I will no longer be stuck in a lab all day
I can tutor more, which means a little more money
I will still be teaching labs each semesters
I will teach in High School or community college instead of a university
I will now retain more of my life because I will no longer inhale braincell killing chemicals all day
Overall, I am HAPPY.

I have been a bit less happy than I used to be due to hating research, and once I admitted that to myself, I have new life. Man, I actually like waking up and going to school in the morning. Well, ok, so I still don't like waking up, but I like going to school.

Well, I have been taking a class this summer, an educational technology class, online. I hate online classes. I have never really liked the idea of an online class, but now I know from experience that I am not a fan, and it is even worse because it is summer. I have had to learn more about excel, I learned filemaker pro (a database program) inspiration (a content mapping software), and I am now learning dreamweaver, (a webediting program). And all this in just 4 weeks. It has really kicked my butt. I have also had to teach lab twice a week, and do the labs as well, so I have been quite busy. Rachelle has been alot happier due to the fact that I am no longer miserable.

So, all in all, we are really busy, but happy. It is a good life, supposing I survive this class.

3 comments:

Cardine said...

Wow. Thanks for the update! It's so cool that you were able to recognize that you really didn't like lab work. Me? I don't really like anything, but I am in a bad mood, so I'm not sure I can be pleased by much right now.

Anyway, we are talking about you and not me. I hope that this does turn out to be a happier solution for you. I hope you're happy.

Paul and Joni said...

I guess its good you realized this now and not later. If things don't work out for me I have always liked teaching, but I think the best thing I liked about the idea of being a spanish teacher was the fact that...I would be a spanish teacher. Talk about a fun, low stress job with lots of time off. Just think of all the stuff you will have time to do when you teach, maybe you could help Rachelle make goodies to help make your house the "cool house" for your kids friends.

I miss hanging with you guys, I am coming to Texas the 18th-20th so maybe we can hang then. MarioKart is sold out everywhere I go. Its expensive to fly but its worth it being with Joni every chance I get. Plus, I miss my pup and my big screen.

Amber said...

Sean!
I'm glad to find your blog and even happier to find it with a post talking about how happy you are! Congratulations on a tough decision! I hope all is well for you!
You can check out my family's blog at www.veryparry.blogspot.com
Take care
Amber Fillmore